Vehicle break-ins are on the rise during the holidays, as drivers focus on celebrating the season rather than protecting their belongings. Crowded mall parking lots and distracted shoppers make the job easy for thieves –where someone can clean out a vehicle and be gone in less than one minute!
Tips to help reduce holiday break-ins:
- Don’t leave your packages in the back seat in plain view – always lock them up in the trunk
- Lock your doors – even if you’re only going to be gone a few minutes
- Don’t leave windows cracked
- Park in well-lit, well-traveled areas
- Hide your electronics like your GPS, cell phone and iPad when you head into the mall
- Don’t leave your purse or briefcase in the car
- Be alert to strangers who appear to be standing around for no particular reason or approaching as the person could be an opportunist waiting to grab shopping bags or belongings.
- Don’t talk on a cell phone when walking in a retail environment or in the parking lot – you might not notice a potential thief lurking nearby
- Have keys readily available when approaching your vehicle so no fumbling or looking is necessary to unlock the vehicle
- If you’re going to be parking in valet, take your purchases home first and don’t leave your personal belongings in the car
Article posted by STL CARSTAR